Sunday, April 22, 2012

Bersih 3.0 - Sit. But walk if we have to.





28 April 2012.
Once again, Malaysia will be in the international spotlight. 
As we move closer to the 13th General Elections, we see the government's efforts in trying to gain the upper hand. 
It's nothing new. But this time, we see that these efforts are getting desperate. And in this desperation, desperate measures are employed to make sure circumstances favour the ruling coalition. 
Hence, the 13th General Election promises to be the dirtiest of them all. 

After parliamentary drama and fiasco on Friday, 20 April 2012, amendments were bulldozed pertaining to the Election Offences Act 1954, to give room for further abuse. Parliamentary sitting on that day, as I was informed and understood ended in the wee hours of the morning (around 2 am, though I stand corrected if this is not so).


Below is the press statement made by Dato' Ambiga, co-chair of Bersih 2.0 after the proposed amendments.



The Bill for the proposed amendments can be seen here
I urge you readers to read this and if it doesn't make you angry, I don't really know what will. 

Other bills were passed and amongst them is the replacement for the Internal Security Act, the said bill known as the Securities Offences (Special Measures Bill 2012). I haven't truly scrutinize the said Bill but said Bill can be viewed here for anyone interested to read it.  Feedback is that it may not be any much different from the previous ISA. I'm not too sure but it would be worth a read to see if the Govt's promises hold water. 
From the wonderful track record of Government promises, we already know what to expect. 


And to further incense things, peaceful campers who had camped at Dataran Merdeka (the official gathering venue for Bersih 3.0 and also known as Merdeka Square) for the Cccupy Dataran protests for free education and the abolishment of the PTPN, were harassed by thugs in the morning. This happened on 19 April 2012 at close to 3pm. 





Now, I have my reservations on the PTPN issue as well, i.e. that whatever loans taken must be paid no matter what, but if it is for free education, then it is worth looking into and to study the potentialities of it.

But regardless of this, NO ONE is to be subject of any harassment by thugs! Unfortunately my suspicions on who these thugs are only lead to one conclusion. Yes. If you reading this and your suspicions bring a wry smile on your face, your conclusions should be the same as mine. 


Furthermore, when the police were asked to intervene (as they should!!), their lacklustre attitude shows even more so that these attacks could have been planned. Orders from the upper ranks? Perhaps :) 



The latest is that our Home Minister seeks to provide the protestors a venue for the rally. Playing the role of the reasonable minister and perhaps pushing the responsibilities on DBKL for not allowing the peaceful assembly to take place at Dataran Merdeka (by the way, the reasons given for the rejection were simply unfounded and to put it simply, STUPID!)


Anyway, back to Home Minister: Here's what someone has to say. An opinion that DBKL is not as independent as the Home Minister puts them to be. Read it, analyze it and decide for yourself if the Home Minister is truly sincere in his offer. 



Well anyway, forget my rants. If you love your country, then be there to support the cause. We will peacefully assemble and be at our best behaviour as I still have faith in my country. 
So, I'm not sure I will be there and I'm making my arrangements to be there quite badly. But spread the word if you will. And God-willing I'm there, I will see you there. Either in KL or in JB. 

Here's some interesting posters I've downloaded from this website. Very nicely done. So enjoy :) 

Will do another write up of my experiences soon on this :) Hopefully I will be able to. 






No comments: