Friday, April 1, 2011

Fragile Theology


Well, in my bid to get back my tax returns, I have decided to invest in a few books and magazines.
Seriously, after a day of completing a 47 page submissions for an appeal, the last thing I would wanna do is to read some books, after going through cases after cases looking for some obscure bloody points. But work is work, and of course, through all that reading, so too has my knowledge on the law has been topped up. Like topping up my Touch N Go card at any BP Petrol station haaha!

Ok, anyway these two books were not any random book that I decided to splurge my cash on.
The first is Teohlogy by Patrick Teoh, a very renown tv and radio personality, but more known for his sarcasm and no holds barred critiscm. He is still a funny chap and I have happened to chance his comedy shows on Youtube. Anyway, I suppose those are the reasons why I decided to get his book. And believe me, his book sold far better than our Ex-PM's Memoirs entitled a Dr in the House. Hahaha..ironic isn't it? NO?!....Nah i thought so too.

At least I think there is much more honesty in his book than our Ex-PM's autobiography. Already there is a barrage of criticism concerning his book. I wouldn't mind borrowing it to have a read and to compare certain discrepancies (more so the Tun Salleh Abbas sacking incident, which is something I am at least aware of).
So, Teohlogy was still the better choice. After all, these are all articles written by Patrick for the now defunct Off the Edge magazine which is probably one of the best magazines during its time (not government propaganda, but unbias and very much objective). Damn buying those magazines.

The second book is Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things, a collection of short stories and a follow up to his earlier collection of short stories entitled Smoke and Mirrors.
I have been a fan of Neil Gaiman and so when I was casually browsing around Book Xcess on a lazy Sunday afternoon and chancing upon his new book, it didn't take a genius to know that I would buy it on the spot. Besides, it's half the price in Book Xcess. I have been reading some of the stories and yes, he is still a master story teller, enigmatic and also imaginative. Seriously, no other writers write like him which puts him in a class of his own. If only the short stories were graphic novels like his works in Sandman, it would be even better. But of course, perhaps these stories are meant to be stories that will leave you at your own imaginative pace and wonder. I did blog about the Sandman characters in one of my previous posts, if you wouldn't mind reading it. Then again, I never know who reads my posts and rants.
Oh well.....

So, perhaps these books will keep me occupied for a few sleepless nights. And also to enable me to get back my tax refunds. HAHAHa...:)

No comments: